Thursday, April 23, 2015

Potsdam | Norfolk

Want to see what the tallest building in St. Lawrence County looks like?


BAM. Look at it. In all its eight story glory. Yep. Raymond Hall, the tallest building in the North Country, is eight stories tall. And it's on my alma mater's campus.

For the past two weekends, we've traveled to Potsdam and I must say I absolutely love the campus. All the buildings are brick (except for the new performing arts center eyesore) and covered with ivy. It's all very idyllic. I must have visited the school five times before I finally committed. But once I did I never looked back and it's always been home.

The first weekend, was all about math. Ryan gave a talk about rings and algebras to BA/MA students and some of our professors. Can I just mention how strange it is to call professors by their first name? Like there's no way I can be on their level. But hey, I'm an adult now. So yeah, hey Derek.


I was super proud of Ryan. He totally rocked it. He even inspired students to look into taking Modern Algebra 2! I was a little proud of myself too, because I was able to follow the logic for most of the talk.

Ryan also managed to get a chuckle out of a few professors with his line "playing the same game...." Math is full of games. Adding zero, multiplying by one. There are so many tricks.


Ryan was totally in his element. I know he's looking into options outside academia but he's a natural in it. Me on the other hand? I am most definitely not a natural speaker. My math part of the weekend was giving the induction speech for Pi Mu Epsilon, the mathematics honor society.

My seven minute speech was short, sweet, and to the point. It included an accountant joke and an original poem inspired by Dr. Seuss's "Oh, the Places You'll Go!" I shook for a good two minutes of it. And I wondered why I had an eye twitch.


The next weekend was much more pleasant. Ryan had nothing to do but hang out with his family. I got to hang out with other Business alums from Potsdam and hold mock interviews with current students. It's my third year on the Advisory Council and I love coming back to work with the students. Each year I think I learn something new and from talking with students, I think they get a lot out of it too.

I know that I'll also never do a back to back work weekend. It's just cray, cray. But these are the things I'll do for my alma mater. Go Bears!



After a long day of "working"on Saturday, I dragged Ryan out for a walk around Norfolk. I brought along my camera so I could fiddle with the settings and get better with lighting. Here's what I shot...





Ryan's parents own this great house in town that has three acres out in back. It also has what is my favorite little barn/shed ever. I mean, seriously, that door. Their driveway is pretty cool, too, I guess. You just might have to be between six and eight to appreciate it, though.







Being up there, looking back at this, makes me want to get lost. I can't wait until we go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment