Wednesday, September 21, 2016

math and logic | count me in

Let me preface this post by saying, I love puzzles. Especially, especially, especially, ones I can solve. Logic and reasoning make my heart go pitter patter.

So when my best friend texted me this picture last Friday, I immediately knew what I would be doing for the foreseeable future.


She also texted it to Ryan since he's a math nerd. Once he knew I was working on them, he got in on the action too.

The challenge is, using only the numbers 1, 9, 9, and 6. come up with equations to equal the following numbers. You can use any combination of operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, exponents, and square roots) but the numbers must appear in that order.

It's basically jeopardy for numbers. The numbers you had to solve for are:

28                         73
32                         76
35                         77
38                       100
72                    1,000

As an example 6 was solved.

6 = ( 1 x  9 ) + sqrt ( 9 ) - 6 

Alternatively, you can also create the formula a little differently.

6 = 1 x ( 9 - 9 ) + 6

Once you realize there's more than one "right" answer the challenge becomes a little more interesting. Which was even evident between how Ryan and I approached the solutions. When we teamed up on the numbers we knocked all the formulas out in just under an hour.

Care to try? Grab a math savvy friend and let me know how long it takes you.


Until the next puzz-lé. Peace out, cub scouts.

- A. Rae

No comments:

Post a Comment