Friday, July 1, 2016

Germany: Take Two

Sometimes I wonder if I'm genuinely good or truly terrible at my job. Although, companies don't go out of their way to spend more money on you than they have to, right? And since they've now sent me to Germany a second time, to help out the team here, I'm going to go with the first.

More than five days notice would've been nice, though.

I like my job. As an operations financial analyst, my job is cool. I work with the teams who make stuff and help them understand their numbers. Expense and volume-wise. I collaborate with other teams to put together snippets that explain the variations from our plan and then report those out to senior level management.

I suppose cool is a relative word here. Again, I like my job and I like the people I work with. The undeniably cool part is seeing the stuff we make and knowing they go into things we use everyday.

But my job doesn't fulfill me and that's okay.

It's hard to be passionate about finance or accounting. It's kind of dull. So I use the time I'm not at work to do fulfilling things. I bake, I do crafts, I muddle in this and that. I run and cycle and travel to new places.

Those things fulfill me and my job let's me do that.

I think that a lot of people get caught up in the idea that if you "do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life." And I can definitely understand trying to manage life expectations when we're inundated with people encouraging us to follow our dreams. Believe me, I've been there.

But I'm left wanting and it's a terrible feeling.

So yeah, I may "work" all day. But then I get to spend my free time doing things I really love. So please excuse me while I go explore Hamburg - our second mini-vacay in less than a month. It's shaping up to be pretty awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment